When I got a case of the flu last spring, I thought that was it for me. I was a goner. I had a good 33 year run and here was the end. Ok, so I get slightly dramatic when I’m sick but c’mon guys, does anyone else ever feel like that?! Needless to say, when I was able to actually get out of bed after 5 days, I was weak and exhausted. I knew I was lacking some major nutrients and needed to get them back ASAP.I called my good friend Kristi, who is a Juicing Guru, and made her tell me all the secrets. That same day I dragged myself to The Bay in search of my Breville Juice Fountain Elite – to my surprise it also happened to be “Bay Days” – and this exact juicer was on mega sale – boo yah!
Straight to Blush Lane Organic Market to stock up on the veggies she recommended I start with. I really watch my sugar content, so chose to juice only veggies, no fruit, and from that day forward I have juiced almost daily. I don’t use it as a meal replacement, but do always consume on an empty stomach – usually first thing in the morning, 20 minutes before I devour my breakfast, or 4 hours after my last meal. This gives your body a chance to instantly absorb ALL the nutrients. One point I do have to make is that juicing your veggies may eliminate some of the fibre content – so it is still uber important to EAT your regular veggies throughout the day too! I love that juicing gets in such great amount of nutrients in a few gulps!
Not convinced yet? Here are 4 reasons to add fresh juice to your diet:
- Juicing helps you easily absorb all of the vitamins, nutrients, minerals and antioxidants from the veggies in about 20-30 minutes after consumption.
- Juicing allows you to consume a whole bunch of veggies that would take forever to eat in a day!
- Juicing introduces a wider variety of veggies into your diet. I’m guilty of eating the same veggies every day, so this allows me to get some new ones in the system!
- You can easily hide ANY veggie into a juice for your child…muwahahahaha….
Check out one of my fav recipes here:
- 3 stalks celery
- handful kale
- 2 handful spinach
- one lemon – not only is the lemon full of benefits, it also masks pretty much any veggie taste!
- half cup cabbage
- inch of ginger
- a few sprigs of fresh mint or parsley
- one cucumber
Tips – we cut up our lemon into quarters and stuff finer veggies (such as mint/spinach) into the lemon or around it to get a better squeeze. Can also stuff the ginger inside the lemon or cucumber so the juicer doesn’t just spit it out!
Enjoy your health my friends!