I’ve been making an effort to bake more (and by more I mean at all). Baking, or any type of cooking, is something I have never really excelled at. My biggest struggle is finding a simple recipe that is healthy and yummy enough that my family will enjoy!
Forever looking for inspiration, I stumbled across this recipe from Ambitious Kitchen. I looked at the browning bananas on my counter and thought “okaaaay – let’s give this a whirl!”
This recipe appealed to me since I prefer to eat cleaner and watch the ol’ calories. These Skinny Banana Chocolate Muffins were so quick to prepare and Marley gobbled them up within a few days! I love that she requested these every day for her school snack – I was so proud of myself !Under 200 calories per muffin, these are the perfect guilt free treat!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil (I used coconut)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt (I had to fight Marley to stop eating the yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or maybe more…)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add bananas, honey, vanilla, oil, egg, milk and yogurt to a blender. Blend on high for 1 minute or until well combined, smooth and creamy. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Cool muffins for 5 minutes then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Muffins are best served warm and even better the next day.
Now that I’ve mastered these muffins I’m totally inspired to hit the kitchen again!